Friday 23 November 2012

Easy and inexpensive Pad Thai

I love finding easy and inexpensive new recipes. When I saw this I thought, I can SO make this. And I tried it. What a joy this was. My husband loves it, I've served it for dinner guests, and I've made it just for a few girlfriends for lunch. It's easy and I usually have all the ingredients for the basic recipe at home!

I mix it up a little, adding prawns, chicken or vegetables to fill it out a little But the combination of coriander and lime is always a winner in my house! I often substitute the rice noodles for thin udon noodles or plain old spaghetti/fettucini - and it's still delicious!

Give it a go and let me know what you think.

Easy Pad Thai

Serves 4
8 ounces dried, wide and flat rice noodles
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 scallions (green onions), white and green parts, separated and thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 large eggs, light beaten (optional)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts
  1. Soak noodles according to package instructions. Drain.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, lime juice, and soy sauce.
  3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
  4. Add scallion whites and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add eggs and cook, scraping skillet with spatula until eggs are almost set (about 30 seconds). Transfer eggs to a plate.
  5. Add noodles, scallion greens, and sauce to skillet. Cook, tossing constantly, until noodles are soft (about 1 minute). Add egg mixture and toss to coat, breaking eggs up gently.
  6. Serve noodles with lime wedges, topped with cilantro and peanuts.

2 comments:

  1. IRYPT (Actually I read it on Friday as you are on my reader. We had noodles for tea today. DD cooked a Jamie Oliver 15 minute recipe. It may have taken 15 minutes to make but it took half an hour to clear up afterwards!)
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there
      Just came over from Mum's blog to say 'hello' - nice to meet you. I must say this sounds like a cheap and easy but wonderfully tasty meal which I'll have to try sometime
      Take care
      Cathy

      Delete

Tell me what you think!