Sunday 22 January 2012

Making it work

First, thank you to everyone who has posted and emailed with tips. I've found them SO valuable. This is so much more overwhelming that I first imagined. Poring over circulars, looking on line, etc. has been daunting. One thing is clear - I need more direction. Another thing is clear - I won't buy full retail price ever again. No way!

Perhaps I am over thinking it. but  here's what I've managed:

I started digging around in Sainsburys, Tesco and Morrisons for the 3 for a tenner deals and bought enough meat for three weeks with £36! I planned out my meals for the three weeks using the meat I bought which included beef, mince, chicken, bacon, sausages, pork chops and two whole chickens. I have Claire from The Little Pom to thank for that! I still have to check out Approved Foods. My meal plan will be posted later this week.

I went to Martin Lewis's site and have been studying the best ways to cut back and save. Thank you Never Too Old!

My slow cooker has been dusted off and I used it to make a delish beef stew the other day. So many thanks to Green Flag (who's blog is fantastic and shockingly has the same background as mine! Lookin' good Green Flag!)

Unfortunately, Lidl and Aldi are too far away from me and we do not have a car. But when we do rent a car again I'm going to check them out post haste. So thanks for Keshling and Twiggy.

I've been really busy, busy with my life lately, school, PTA, and I'm working to try and get a job here in the UK - part time, perhaps write a few articles, etc. If I can. Every little, as Tesco says.

I truly appreciate all the help and promise to get this blog up and running properly.

But just to record my progress: at £50 a week for the past two weeks I have managed to only spend £35 week one, $42 week two and I have already bought all the basics for week 3 (meat, pasta, veg, diapers, wipes, TP, etc.) If I keep this up by the end of January - month 1 in our conquest I will have saved £35. If I do it - we will not spend it on frivolities or a 'splurge'. It will go into savings to be used in case of an emergency.

So far - so good! And I still don't even feel like I know what I'm doing.

4 comments:

  1. Well done im glad everyone rallied with ideas, i love reading blogs as you always find ways of doing things that you had never previously thought off.
    nto
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the inclusion. Part of blogging for me is trying to build up a friendship group, so the mention means a lot.

    Well done for the savings you have made already. Yo have made a good start - just think what you can do in the future.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's not bad going. Now, if you head to approved foods you can get the accompaniments!

    We'd probably have a few more suggestions if you post a receipt of what you buy? There might be more opportunities to save a bit.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm Sammyleia and I found your blog via Miss Piggy Bank. My biggest aim is to move to the U.K. (I'm Australian btw) and London is my most favourite city in the whole world. I'm following you now and look forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!